The Epsom Handicap is the premier Group 1 handicap event of the Sydney spring racing carnival and is held each year in early October at Randwick racecourse in Sydney. The race is run over a distance of 1600 metres and worth $500,000 in prizemoney. The 2012 Epsom Handicap was won by Fat Al from Ambidexter with Rolling Pin third.
The Epsom Handicap is the major race of the Randwick spring carnival and is one of two tough Group 1 mile races on the Randwick racing calendar each year, with the other being the Doncaster Handicap in April.
Rich in history, the Epsom Handicap always attracts many of Australia's best milers and has been won by some talented gallopers over the years, including Theseo (2008), Racing To Win (2006), Shogun Lodge (2000), Dodge (1998), Filante (1996), and the grand miler Super Impose, who was a memorable dual winner of this race in 1990-91.
In recent years Rangiragdoo (2nd in 2009) went on to win the Gr2 Crystal Mile (1600m) at Moonee Valley later in the spring on Cox Plate day in Melbourne.
Fat Al (2012) ran 3rd in the Gr2 Shannon Stakes over 1500m at Rosehill prior to winning this event and recent Epsom Handicap winners have been Secret Admirer (2011) and Captain Sonador (2010).
2012 Epsom Handicap result
1. $4.60 Fat Al 52.0 Tommy Berry
2. $5.50 Ambidexter 52.0 Kerrin McEvoy
3. $41.00 Rolling Pin 52.0 Chad Schofield (a)
4. $17.00 Lightinthenite 52.0 Jim Cassidy
5. $6.50 Secret Admirer 54.0 James McDonald
6. $51.00 Monton 53.0 Ms Kathy O’Hara
7. $6.00 Shoot Out 58.0 Hugh Bowman
8. $21.00 Yosei 52.5 Glyn Schofield
9. $61.00 Tagus 52.0 Brenton Avdulla
10. $51.00 Wild And Proud 52.0 Peter Robl
11. $17.00 Said Com 52.0 Corey Brown
12. $12.00 Rangirangdoo 57.5 Nash Rawiller
13. $26.00 Somepin Anypin 52.0 Jay Ford
14. $41.00 Gangster’S Choice 52.0 Jason Collett
15. $16.00 Kontiki Park 52.0 Nathan Berry
Margins: Head, 1 1/2 len Time: 1:34.56
Bet now on the Epsom Handicap
Get Best of the three Aussie Tabs or SP with 'Top Tote Plus'
Best Australian Bookmaker for Epsom Handicap free bets
Are you getting the Best Odds for your bet?
With IASbet's flagship bet type CITY SuperPrice, punters are guaranteed a better dividend than the 3 Australian TABs on all Win only bets on metropolitan horse racing in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth.
CITY SuperPrice guarantees you a better price than any Aussie TAB and if you don't have an IASbet account for betting on horse racing then you are missing out big time!
Join IASbet here and never accept under the odds from the Australian TAB again, plus you can score yourself a $250 free bet if you open a new account right now!